Donating stock is a cost-effective and high-impact way to support global health. When you support PATH with a gift of stock, you can take advantage of a charitable tax deduction for the fair-market value and incur no capital gains tax on shares held for at least one year (subject to IRS deduction limits). These benefits can effectively decrease the cost to you and may allow you to make a greater contribution to a cause you care about.

Although capital gains tax advantages only apply to appreciated stocks, contributing stock that has decreased in value can still be a smart financial move—allowing you to declare a loss and still receive a tax deduction for the fair-market value of the shares. You may even choose to use money that you might otherwise have donated to purchase the same or other securities when rates are low.

A quick how-to

To transfer ownership of stock to PATH, you’ll need to work both with your broker (or financial advisor) and with us. Contact your broker to set the transaction in motion—and then contact PATH and let us know about your plans. To make this a little easier, we provide a simple stock contribution form that lists all necessary information.

What your broker needs

Your broker will need to know the name of the company whose stock you wish to transfer and the number of shares or approximate value. They’ll also need the following information about PATH’s brokerage account at Merrill Lynch:

Account number: 297-04371
DTC number: 5198
Broker: James Toepel
Tel: 206.464.2645 or (toll free) 800.333.4858
Fax: 206.338.4451

What PATH needs

Your brokerage firm can assist you with the transfer—but for legal reasons, they can’t tell us who you are. We need to hear from you so that we can confirm and acknowledge your gift.

You can provide the information in a quick telephone conversation, using our stock contribution form to prepare, or send the form directly to us by email, fax, or mail. Anyone on our Donor Relations team can assist you:

Tel: 206.285.3500
Fax: 206.285.6619
Mail: PATH, Attention: Development, PO Box 19210, Seattle, WA 98109 USA

Contributing stock certificates

You may also contribute stock certificates. Just mail the unendorsed certificates and, separately (for security reasons), a signed stock power available from your financial services provider to the address above.